Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Whether you’re an amateur or a professional golfer, using a laser rangefinder is one of the best tools you can use to make your golf playing easy. However, you won’t be able to make the most of your laser rangefinder without knowing how to use it best. Which is why in this post, you will learn some of the best starting tips for using a laser rangefinder easier to make your golf playing easy and enjoyable.
But before anything else, you should be aware that there are a lot of laser rangefinders available in the market – there are some meant for hunting and other activities that may require knowledge of distance.
All these tools are effective at gauging distances but only the ones designed specifically as a golf rangefinder are the ones that you should buy. Once you get this clear and right, then the next thing for you to do is to follow these tips to get the most out of your golf distance gauging device.
Read the manual
All tools and devices always come with a manual. A laser rangefinder is no different. Reading the manual is practically the first good tip you can follow to see how your device works.
By reading the manual, you will not just become aware of the different parts of the device but you can also familiarize yourself with its parts and how each one works. The manual also contains some basic troubleshooting that might come in handy for future use.
Although not actually a manual, browsing the web for similar information on how to use your rangefinder can be handy is also recommended if you think that the manual lacks some information.
Some of the budget golf rangefinders don’t provide a very extensive user’s manual, but you can always find all the information on the internet.
Watch and learn from video tutorials
If you’re not into reading actually, you can always look up for video tutorials to learn how you can use your laser rangefinder like on YouTube or any other similar website which offers video tutorials.
Aside from reviews, there are plenty of websites out there that features a step-by-step process on how you can use each device with a hands-on demo on video. Of course, that would depend on the kind and model of device that you have since different golf rangefinders also have different features.
Try out features
Another good way for you to know how to use a rangefinder is to try out its features. If you’re too lazy to read the manuals or spend time watching video tutorials, you can always discover by yourself how each feature work for the benefit of your game.
A word of advice though, referring to this kind of method takes a lot of patience and time on your part. On the other hand, you can always read the manual or do with video tutorials and simply apply what you have learned so far.
More importantly, you will get the hang of things far better and much faster if you always use your device. By getting accustomed to how each settings work, then you can use your rangefinder more efficiently.
Perform a practice game
One of the best things you can do to see if your laser rangefinder works is to try it out during a practice way. By doing this, you don’t have to worry about losing a game and it will help you improve your skills in using your device.
It’s even better if you can create a practice game that is closest to the actual game environment when you play so that you can be confident in using your device properly and with ease.
Be patient and play
While you may have all the necessary things to make using a golf laser rangefinder easier for you, you would need a lot more than that to become efficient with using your device. That is, you can’t master using your rangefinder in a span of a day or work a miracle overnight. You have to wait patiently and always practice using your device to get your readings right and consistent.
Play a lot and get more used to the readings and additional information the rangefinder provides you. The more you play and the more you use your new golf laser rangefinder, the better the results will be in your game!
Other Handy Tips To Consider…
- For starters, you can always practice using your golf rangefinder with large targets. It can be any object inside or outside your home just to help you get the hang of using your device. Just remember not to pick out objects that are too far away. A distance of 100 to 200 yards would be best for you.
- Golf laser rangefinders will always be better than other kinds of rangefinders because they’re manufactured to pick up golf flags efficiently. A golf GPS watch or GPS handheld can only provide you distances to pre-programmed and pre-loaded targets (like water hazards, trees and fixed positions on the green – front, center and back) and not to other useful targets you might find on your route to the flag!
- If no manual is available with your golf rangefinder, you can always check out the website of the manufacturer and get your copy by downloading it. Links to the manufacturer websites: Bushnell, Leupold, GolfBuddy, Nikon, Precision Pro, Lofthouse.
- If you prefer to watch videos, always pick the ones with the highest amount of views or look out for those made by the manufacturers to ensure that you’re getting the most helpful video tutorial.
- Look for the terms First Target Priority Mode, PinHunter, and PinSeeker which are actually technologies used by the biggest manufacturers of laser rangefinders specifically designed or golf. These terms are actually helpful in giving you accurate readings even if you have unsteady hands.
- Since location plays an important role in winning a golf game, it’s important that you know about the location first. This will help you make better and more accurate distance calculations.